Preparing for your telecounseling appointment.
What to Expect
You can use your mobile device, tablet, laptop, or audio/video-enabled desktop computer to communicate with your genetic counselor. Prior to your appointment, you will receive a text message or a phone call with instructions for setting up your device. You may also wish to refer to this web page for detailed instructions and common troubleshooting scenarios. Once you have connected to the session, your counselor will join you at the scheduled appointment time. If you are disconnected at any point during the appointment, you may use the session link you received earlier to reconnect. Either you or your counselor can choose to end the session at the end of the appointment.
Windows, Macintosh, and Linux
1) Go to meet.geneticscenter.com in your web browser.
2) Join the Telecounseling session with the code that was provided to you via text message.
3) If you have not received a meeting code, call us at 1-888-4-GENETIC (Option 4).
Enabling Your Camera and Microphone (Mobile)
1) Ensure that you have joined the counseling session in the Jitsi Meet app.
2) Tap the icon in the app to un-mute your microphone
2) Tap the icon in the app to activate your camera
Enabling Your Camera and Microphone (Web Browser)
Common Troubleshooting Scenarios
- Ensure that you clicked or tapped on the correct web address to join the session.
- If you have joined the session earlier than the scheduled appointment time, the counselor may not be ready yet. If this is the case, your counselor will automatically join you at the scheduled appointment time.
- A reliable connection is needed to send audio and video to your device. While a telecounseling session can be conducted via your cellular network, a WiFi or Ethernet connection is preferred.
- If you continue to experience connection issues, please close the Jitsi Meet app or your web browser and attempt to connect to the session again.
- Ensure that your microphone is not muted and that your camera is activated. Follow the “Enabling Your Camera and Microphone” instructions listed above.
- If it is your first time using our Telecounseling platform, your device may ask for permission to access your camera and microphone. Please allow access to these devices then try again.
- Restart the Jitsi Meet app or your web browser.
- The link or the meeting code for your meeting may be incorrect. Exit the Jitsi Meet or close your web browser then ensure that you have a valid link/code to join the sesson.
- Verify the scheduled appointment time. If you join the session earlier or significantly later than the scheduled time, the session will no longer be valid.
- If you continue to experience this issue, please call us at 1-888-4-GENETIC (Option 4) to request a new link or code.